Sign in to follow this  
Solchan

How much technology has advanced

Ok so I was talking with a guy about my first computer. which was a 133. then made a comment about when i built my first amd with a 500mb processor.  then of course mad the blunder and said had 1gig ram. he said it held that much I said yeah. is capped out at 1gig. later I realized what I said, and thought Oh god how I wish my 1 meg memory would of actually been 1gig. I think my hard drive was maybe 1gig then..  It just crazy how fare Tech has advanced so fast.  And to think my cell phone  makes that old computer look like a joke.  and as i'm sitting here typiing this staring at a 60in HD plasma screen knowing as soon as I submit this it will post right away. brings up a few more advancements.  One that 13in monitor that was bulky and I don't miss dial up  at all.. lol and this is just a scratch to the advancements in technology. Just makes you wonder what tomorrow holds.

You can totally say the same about  video game consoles we started with Atari went to Sega skip some years n64 skip to now and a Nintendo switch and ps4 but the amazing part of this is that this has only happened throughout 80 to now which is about 24 years at most so for game systems to come this far is a amazing and marvelous test to how fast we are advancing in itself for technology.

Yes, I totally agree. Although I never suffered from dial-up.. We were little late to jump on the internet bandwagon when I was growing up.

My first game system was Sega Genesis. My dad had NES in the basement but would not let us play with it until we were old enough to be trusted not to break it.

First computer we had was a windows 95 upgraded to win98 so we could use internet, and boy... that thing was so virus infested it wasn't funny. Most of it was cause of my dads little um.... "hobby" lets just call it.

And a small portion was from my brother and I playing runescape on some other site, I forget its name. But it always gave us a virus when we visited. Then we had a windows XP, wasn't an awful lot better, but it was faster than the old pc. I accidentally broke that with my own stupidity. And I am still using my windows 7 one that I got for christmas 2009. This one is like 16x better than the windows xp one we had.... and it still works mostly for what I want to do. Other than certain steam games.

Can't play Shadow of Mordor without lagging like hell. Probably didn't help I had to use a little application to get it to work, since my computer cannot get Directx 11.

Maybe someday when I get better stuff.

I also went from a couple flipphones to one of those ones where you slide the top up and it reveals the buttons (not a blackberry)... to a samsung galaxy s5, this phone... does what I need it to on the go.

Oh yeah everything has advances. I remember the big block looking cell phones with analog service.. then the nokia came out and got very popular because you could change the case of the phone to different colors and ones that light up. The Nokia was actually my personal first cell phone. I loved that thing. although service was both expensive and horrible all at the same time. Then digital came out and all the analog phones went obsolete. but the phones got a little smaller. And i finally got my first true flip phone.. service was still sucked though. so just looking back 15yrs it's crazy on the advancements. Of course now I love my iphone. and to compare it to my nokia. I can only laugh. Who knows maybe we really did find a crashed alien space ship to study. lol 

As for game systems. the atari was the first I ever played at a friends house. Then my first game system was the NES which I only had a couple games for. the I got the super NES, then sega. Id go through a list. but to be honest I've owned about every game system and hand held since the NES. Of course that would include the ones my kids own. Ive at least tried playing them all. Personally I'd rather watch anime then play games now. lol.

I know all about the computer programs. Windows 95 was my first also. I've been on older dos systems. But my actual first computer was win95. And I to now still run Win7. I just like it better then the new versions. Call me old school. but I hate having to relearn how to use my computer every time they make a new OS. Adding stuff is one thing. but seems now every time they make a new one the whole layout is changed. So I'll stick with 7 till I have no choice to upgrade.

The best part about the advancements is price. yes if you look at the actually price tags. you can say the newer stuff is more expensive. but if you compare what the actual pay rate then to now is. Electronics are way cheaper then they use to be. For instant that $400 - $500 computer that ran win 95.  in todays price would of been around $1500. but yet you can still get a computer for a couple hundred dollars that makes the old 133 look like a joke. just look at min wage in the 80s vrs now. I know my first job in the 90s was like $4 an hr. think min wage now is like $9 hr or something like that. So yeah eventually what ever crazy fast electronic you may want now. eventually you will be able to afford it. sadly there may be something even nicer out by then. but it will most likely be cheaper then it's original anyways. heck xbox and play-station have been in the same price category for the past 10yrs. you can buy a 1tb xbox 1 for 300. 10yrs ago the 360 will very little memory was 300. min wage was a 1/3 lower then what it is now. so the 300 now was 200 then. so it may not look like it but its cheaper. Thats just talking computers and game stations. But if you compare all kinds of products by pay rate and cost at different times you will see some crazy numbers.